maandag 17 september 2012

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Release date: 2007
Stars: 4/5

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

After reading all the good reviews of Cassandra Clare series and really she just kept popping up everywhere, so I decided to start with her Mortal Instruments series. I mean the cover really wasn't doin' it for me! So City of Bones was the first book I read about her, and I have to give it to her, it really is a great book. I have to think a bit what this book was about, because I liked the serie so much I read it in a few days. What I liked most about the book is the world Cassandra created. The world of the shadowhunters is unique and very interesting. Shadowhunters are half angel and half people. The story is full of actions and you get to now more about the beautifull and twisting full world of the shadowhunters. There are werewolves and vampires in the story also, but the author's take on is different than I encountered before. Some parts were a bit predictable, but I didn't mind it at all. The main character Clary, I liked her very much. Could easily relate to her. She remains very strong throughout the book, even though there were a lot of shocking moments for her. What I didn't understand is that Clary is supposed to be only 15 years. I can't really relate to that, but maybe that's just me. So ofcourse there has to be a boy in the book and that is Jace. He's really something. Strong to the outside, but he can be soft on the inside. When I finished this one, I immidiately picked up the second book. I highly recommened the series! Oh and what I'm really looking forward to is that they are making a movie of the series!! How cool is that?!

Geen opmerkingen: